Writing Center Assistant
The primary function of this position is to provide support for students who use the Writing Center. The Writing Center Assistant may work with students either one-on-one or in small groups. This work requires extensive knowledge of the writing process and fluency in English. The Writing Center Assistant may also be asked to document their work through report-writing and to assist the Writing Center Instructors with the development of print or online materials in support of student learning and outreach.
The Writing Center is part of the Library department, which includes an Art and Design Library, a Materials Library, and Innovative Media Studios.
This is a non-sponsored hourly position with no benefits and for four months only. Applicants must have a valid residence permit and currently live in Qatar.
Reports to: Director of Libraries
Major Activities & Essential Functions
- Provides VCUarts Qatar students support concerning all aspects of written English composition (including, but not limited to, planning, drafting, revising, and technicalities of using the English language).
- Creates work reports, as required by the department.
- Assists in planning and developing educational materials for the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor, including related administrative tasks for the department.
- A graduate degree in English, Communication, or Library Science/Studies.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Experience in teaching and learning styles, with a strong emphasis on a one-on-one, individualized instruction in the area of language acquisition; strong preference for experience within an EFL-ESL context.
- Strong preference for candidates with an art and design background.
- Ability to work collaboratively and proactively with staff members of the library department
- Ability to assess students’ needs and recognize potentially serious learning, behavioral, or other problems relevant to communicating well in English and succeeding in coursework.
- Familiarity with research methods, resources, and documentation.
Skills & Experience
- Superb interpersonal communication skills.
- Self-motivation for working independently with minimal supervision.
- Positive attitude and desire to be in a service-oriented environment that results in the ability to create a positive learning environment for all students.
- Preference for working experience within an art and design context.
Apply for this job online
Review of applicants will begin immediately.