Teaching & Research Assistant in Multilingual Typographic Design
The Department of Graphic Design at VCUArts Qatar seeks someone with specific abilities relative to the development of multilingual typographic tools and practices. The applicant will be highly self-motivated and engaged with both students and faculty to support departmental typographic research that ultimately contributes to the department's progress toward the eventual development of a regional center for typographic inquiry. This position consists of 20 hours per week for a period of 16 weeks begins on January 5 and ends on April 30, 2020. Specifically, this position requires 12 hours per week dedicated to supporting teaching and learning as an assistant to one or two Graphic Design studio courses taught by full-time Graphic Design faculty. The remaining 8 hours are to be dedicated to creative research in the area of multilingual typography and/or type design.
This is a non-sponsored hourly position with no benefits. Applicants must have a valid residence permit and currently live in Qatar. Preferences will be given to VCU alumni.
Major Activities & Essential Functions
- Ability to become oriented to university and departmental policies relevant to being in a classroom as a teaching assistant before the first class-session so as to support course instructors in their constructive enforcement.
- Follows the direction of the course instructor to assist in the instruction of multilingual typography, type design, and related learning. This includes completing any class session preparations assigned but the course instructor and being present in all class sessions.
- Develops, completes, and documents creative research that investigates aspects of multilingual typographic forms, technique, and/or cultural signification or expression.
- BFA or higher degree in a field related to multilingual typography and type design.
- Strong record of creative practice.
- Ability to formulate and manage a partially mentored creative research process in the area of multilingual typography and/or type design.
Skills & Experience
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm toward supporting the studio teaching and participating in the creative research community within a multicultural environment of VCUarts Qatar.
Requirements for the application:
- PDF portfolio of 5 selected creative research projects relevant to multilingual typographic design.
- Current CV.
- Letter to the Graphic Design Department faculty explaining:
- What part this position will play in your long term development as a creative.
- What particular learning objectives are you are aiming to pursue in position.
- What particular skills and strengths you can bring to this position.
Apply for this job online
Review of applicants will begin immediately.