Fanoon Publishing Program Assistant
The VCUQ Fanoon Center for Printmedia Research is looking for a talented individual, with interest in printmedia and collaborative print projects to take a 1-year position as Fanoon Assistant for the 2019/2020 academic year.
It is a challenging and rewarding position, perfect for someone who is looking to deeply expand their skills in printmaking, experimental print projects, and digital print. In addition to performing the duties of the job, the Fanoon Assistant will be required to work on creative projects and build their own creative portfolio. The Fanoon Assistant will have access to materials and time to explore and develop skills in this manner. 3-4 days/week.
This is a non-sponsored hourly position with no benefits. Applicants must have a valid residence permit and currently live in Qatar.
Preferences will be given to VCU alumni.
Reports to: Director of Painting & Printmaking
Major Activities & Essential Functions
- Assists Fanoon coordinator on print projects through all stages that occur before, during, and after each Fanoon artist visits. This includes, but is not limited to, media testing and preparation, proofing, editioning, documenting, archiving and shipping.
- Develops department resources, such as those used by Fanoon artists and updates and develop the Fanoon website.
- Assists with special projects as needed, such as the Fanoon show at VCUarts Qatar gallery.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in PAPR (preferred) or Design.
- Possesses relevant skills in printmaking techniques (screenprinting, intaglio, lithography, relief, digital printing, papermaking, and book arts).
- Fluent in digital photography, photo-editing in Photoshop, with some experience in Illustrator and web design.
- Some experience in cataloguing, archiving, framing, presentation is preferred.
- Some experience in woodworking and fab lab media preferred.
Skills & Experience
- Excellent time-management skills, ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines.
- Excellent communications and organizational skills.
- A high level of accuracy, a strong work ethic, and diligence.
- Willingness to work within a cooperative structure - working in a team.
- Positive attitude and desire to be in a customer service-oriented environment.
- Result-driven and possess leadership qualities.
For Application Process: Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest with a curriculum vitae, a short research statement, a link to their online portfolio and names of 2 references.
Apply for this job online
Review of applicants will begin immediately.