Communications Content Specialist
Reporting to the VCUarts Qatar Director of Communications, the Communications Content Specialist will tell the VCUarts Qatar story to our community of prospective and current students, alumni and donors, and a wider regional and national audience. This will involve extensive writing and editing, as well as the ability to shape content for a variety of different audiences for both print and digital. Applicants should be adept at shifting from academic to narrative writing, producing compelling feature material, press releases, and shorter, web-based content - including social media. The ability to write engaging material, meet deadlines, and maintain a high standard of excellence are the keys to success.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Major Activities & Essential Functions
Serving as an integral member of VCUarts Qatar Communications team:
- Works within an integrated team of professional communicators to execute with excellence the University’s communications and marketing public relations strategies through strategic content production and establishes a strong and consistent voice for VCUarts Qatar.
- Researches, writes, edits, and generates ideas for news and feature articles that showcase student and alumni achievements, faculty scholarship, major school initiatives and milestones, and other newsworthy events and reports that fits with audience and purpose as well as assists in planning an integrated content strategy across all means of communications to ensure consistency and accuracy while adhering to Associated Press, university, and departmental style guidelines.
- Contributes creative ideas and continuously works to identify new and compelling ways to tell VCUarts Qatar stories and edits and proofreads all external-facing communications, including but not limited to recruitment materials, development materials, and websites, including social media and has the ability to speak and write with clarity about art and design; incorporating awareness of traditions and terminology.
- Maintains open communications with VCUarts Qatar departments to generate story ideas and, working with the Director of Communications, selects stories for particular venues as well as maintains open communications with Qatar Foundation in sharing QF-related announcements and other important communications.
- Meets or corresponds with students, faculty, alumni, donors, and members of the press for interviews, fact-checking, and content creation and oversees web-based written content across VCUarts Qatar, including departmental websites, for accuracy and currency of information, as well as consistency of voice.
- In collaboration with the Dean or his designee; writes and develops speeches, electronic media presentations, and news briefs for the Dean and performs other duties to support team goals as assigned.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in Mass Communications, Public Relations, English, or equivalent professional training and experience. Applicants with degrees in journalism, marketing or a related field will also be considered. Masters level preparation will be considered an asset.
- Experience in publishable-quality journalism and corporate communication writing for post-secondary institutions.
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex concepts, in clear concise language, to various audiences. Must be resourceful and creative about technical problem-solving.
- Excellent ability to anticipate communication needs and take initiative. Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines and prioritize deadlines in a fast-paced environment with little to no supervision.
- Commitment to keeping informed of regional and national issues in higher education, in order to position and promote the University.
- Understanding of how content functions across various forms of media, and the ability to adjust the style of writing accordingly.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse environment with tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse organizational environment, and/or faculty, staff, and student environment, and a commitment to do so as a member of VCUarts Qatar with acute cultural sensitivity.
Skills & Experience
- Superior written, verbal, and editorial skills in English. Strong copy-editing and proofing skills in major manuals of style.
- Experience writing for social media.
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills; ability to interpret quantitative data. Extremely detailed oriented.
- Ability to work as part of a team, collaborating with Qatar Foundation and other Education City institutions. Resourceful and solution-oriented.
- Ability to build long-term relationships with internal and external constituents in a professional manner.
- 7-10 years of progressively responsible experience in an educational, arts or professional environment.
- Experience with creating and identifying quality content that is strategically relevant and compelling.
- Experience developing and launching email and text messaging campaigns.
Apply for this job online
Review of applicants will begin immediately.