English Literature and Composition
Jesse Ulmer teaches English Composition and Literature courses as part of the Liberal Arts & Sciences program at VCUQatar.
He earned a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature at Minnesota State University Moorhead, a Master of Arts in English Literature at Virginia Commonwealth University, and he is currently pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy in English Literature and Criticism at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
In 2005, Jesse was appointed and served as the Virginia Community College System Chancellor's Teaching Fellow for the 2005-2006 academic year. In 2008-2009, Jesse was appointed and served as the Assistant Director of Liberal Arts & Sciences at VCUQatar.
He has received several faculty leadership awards. Most recently, Jesse was awarded a VCUQatar Distinguished Achievement Faculty Award for Service.
His research interests include 19th and 20th Century American Literature, Critical Theory, Composition Studies, and Literacy/Orality Studies. Jesse has published and presented his work in a variety of regional, national and international forums.
- "Literacy, Orality & Secondary Orality: Rethinking Freshman Composition at an American University in 21st Century Qatar." Conference on College Composition and Communication, Louisville, Kentucky, March 2010.
- "English Education: Challenges and Successes." Panel presentation and participant. Conference on English Teaching Excellence for Qatar: The Transition to College, Carnegie Mellon in Qatar, November 2009.
- "Literacy, Orality & Secondary Orality: Rethinking Freshman Composition at an American University in 21st Century Qatar." Education City Liberal Arts & Social Sciences Research Forum, Education City, Doha, Qatar, November 2009.
- "Qualtrics and Online Survey Research." Indiana University of Pennsylvania Summer Research Forum, Indiana, Pennsylvania, July 2009.
- "Cultivating the Librarian Within: Effectively Integrating Library Instruction into Freshman Composition." The Sixteenth International Conference on Learning, University of Barcelona, Spain, July 2009.
- "The Knowledge Society: Text & Orality in Qatar," The Sixth International Conference on the Book, Catholic University of America, Washington D.C., October 2008.
- "Cultivating the Librarian Within: Effectively Integrating Library Instruction into Freshman Composition." The International Journal of Learning 16.7 (2009): 415-23.
- "The Knowledge Society: Text & Orality in Qatar." The International Journal of the Book 6.1 (2009): 109-13.
- "Undiscovered Country." Rev. of Undiscovered Country by Lin Enger. Blackbird: an online journal of literature and the arts 8.1, Feb. 2009. http://www.blackbird.vcu.edu/v8n1/nonfiction/ulmer_j/enger_page.shtml
- "Love in an Expanding Universe." Rev. of Love in an Expanding Universe, by Ron Rindo. Blackbird: an online journal of literature and the arts 5.2, Feb. 2006. http://www.blackbird.vcu.edu/v5n2/nonfiction/ulmer_j/rindo-review.htm
- "The Blue Note." Poictesme Literary Journal 8.5 (2006): 13-30.
- Leaving a Mark: A Decade of Design 1998-2008, Ed. Jesse Ulmer and Jeff Lodge. VCUQatar 10th anniversary book, Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Qatar, Doha, Qatar, Fall 2008.
- "Students Update Qatar article on Wikipedia." The Gulf Times 20 Jan. 2009: p. 3.
- Outstanding Undergraduate Research Grant Project Award, May 2012.
- VCUQatar Distinguished Faculty Award for Teaching, Aug., 2012.
- VCUQatar Distinguished Faculty Award for Service, Aug., 2010.