- MFA, Graphic Design, North Carolina State University
- BA, Communication Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Denielle Emans is an Associate Professor specializing in the area of experiential design in relation to the conceptualization, development, and execution of visual messages for social change and sustainability. Denielle is also a Ph.D. Candidate within the Centre for Communication and Social Change at the University of Queensland, one of Australia’s premier research institutions. Denielle has been involved in several competitive research grants and presented her work at numerous international conferences.
In addition to co‑authoring chapters for the Routledge Handbook of Sustainable Design and the Springer Handbook of Sustainability and Social Science Research, Emans recently co-authored a book with Professor Kelly Murdoch-Kitt entitled “Intercultural Collaboration by Design: Drawing from differences, distances, and disciplines through visual thinking.” The book introduces a framework for collaborating across cultures using visual thinking and multicultural perspectives to address pressing global issues.
- Interdisciplinary design collaborations and service learning initiatives for sustainability and social good
- Virtually mediated cross-cultural design collaborations within design pedagogy
- Design for multilingual contexts and language conservation
- Impact assessment within social design practice, initiatives, and education
- Murdoch–Kitt, Kelly and Denielle Emans. "Intercultural Collaboration by Design: Drawing from differences, distances, and disciplines through visual thinking." London: Routledge, 2020.
- Emans, Denielle. "Do You Know a Melipona Bee?" (English, Maya and Spanish Edition). Dubai: International Printing Press, 2013.
Chapters and Journal Articles
- Emans, Denielle and Kelly Murdoch–Kitt. “Sustainability & Interactive Experiences.” Collaboration in Design Education, edited by Marty Maxwell Lane, Rebecca Tegtmeyer, Bloomsbury Visual Arts, 2020.
- Emans, Denielle and Basma Hamdy. “The Design Powers System: Cultivating Design Competencies in Collaborative Endeavors.” Dialectic, Volume 2, Issue 1, (Summer 2018).
- Emans, Denielle and Kelly Murdoch–Kitt. “Connective Methodologies: Visual Communication Design and Sustainability in Higher Education.” In Handbook of Sustainability and Social Science Research, World Sustainability Series, edited by Leal Filho, Robert Marans, and John Callewaert. Springer International Publishing, 2018.
- Emans, Denielle and Kelly Murdoch–Kitt. “Intercultural Collaborations in Sustainable Design Education.” In Routledge Handbook of Sustainable Design, edited by Rachel Beth Egenhoefer, 135–147. London: Routledge, 2017.
- Murdoch–Kitt, Kelly, Denielle Emans, and Kelly Norris Martin. “Sustainability at the Forefront: Educating Students Through Complex Challenges in Visual Communication and Design.” Interdisciplinary Environmental Review, 16.2/3/4 (2015): 285–311.
- Murdoch–Kitt, Kelly and Denielle Emans. “Design Nexus: Integrating Cross–Cultural Learning Experiences into Graphic Design Education.” Studies in Material Thinking, 11 (2014).
- Emans, Denielle and Adina Hempel. “Hybrid–learning for Social Design.” Tasmeem, Licensee Bloomsbury Qatar Foundation Journals, 3 (2014).
- Emans, Denielle and Kelly Murdoch–Kitt. 2019. “Cultural Interplay: Creating Interactive Experiences Through Collaborative Video.” In Proceedings of Motion Design Education Summit. Wellington, 2019. New Zealand: Massey University School of Design.
- Emans, Denielle and Kelly Murdoch–Kitt. 2018. “Let’s Play Together: Creating Games to Diversify Design Research Teams.” In Proceedings of AIGA 2018 Design Educators Research Conference: Decipher, Ann Arbor, 2018. University of Michigan Publishing.
- Emans, Denielle and Adina Hempel. 2016. “Measuring Impact: Program Evaluation & Design for Social Change.” In Proceedings of ICDHS 2016, 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies, Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History, Taiwan, 2016, 302–307. São Paulo: Blucher.
- Murdoch–Kitt, Kelly and Denielle Emans. 2015. “Experiential Elements of High–to–Low Context Cultures.” In Proceedings of the LearnxDesign 3rd International Conference for Design Education Researchers, Vol. 3, Chicago, 2015, 1301–1318. Finland: Aalto University.
- Emans, Denielle and Basma Hamdy. “WonderBox: Storytelling and Emerging Technologies.” In Proceedings of the LearnxDesign 3rd International Conference for Design Education Researchers, Vol. 2, Chicago, 2015, 604–622. Finland: Aalto University.
- Emans, Denielle and Kelly Murdoch–Kitt. “My Water, My Change: Confronting Global Water Concerns Through Cross–Cultural Collaboration.” In Proceedings of Cumulus Johannesburg Conference: Design with the other 90%, Johannesburg, 2014, 223–233. Johannesburg: Greenside Design Center and the University of Johannesburg.
- Emans, Denielle and Adina Hempel. “Digital Technology: A Tool for Mitigating Cultural Constraints and Teaching Design for Social Change in the MENA Region.” In Proceedings of DesignEd Asia Conference, Hong Kong, 2013, 145–155. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Murdoch–Kitt, Kelly and Denielle Emans. “City Reflections: Design Collaborations for Cross–Cultural Learning.” In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference for Design Education Researchers, Vol. 1, Oslo, 2013, 387–404. Norway: ABM–media.
- Emans, Denielle. “Teaching Maya to the Next Generation: Children’s Publication Design in a Multilingual Context.” In Proceedings of the 5th International Typography Day Conference, Mumbai, 2012. Mumbai: Indian Institute of Technology.