Students will be introduced to the cross-stitching technique as well as the various Palestinian motifs and their meanings. They will learn about the colors, materials and tools traditional used. By the end of the course, each student will have their own hand embroidered artwork framed in a large hoop.
1. Introduce students to the history of Palestinian embroidery, the tools, materials, colors and stitch type. Students begin practicing on small pieces of fabric.
2. Students complete their small samples and frame them in round hoops.
3. Come up with a final design to embroider and start the final project.
4. Begin working on the final piece.
5. Continue the final piece.
6. Complete the final piece
Please note: VCUQatar reserves the right to cancel classes for which not enough participants are registered. Already paid fees will be refunded.
Please do not purchase materials until VCUQatar has sent final course confirmation.
- DMC Threads
- Aida Fabric
- Embroidery Needles
- Embroidery Scissors
- Embroidery Hoops
** All the materials will be provided by the instructor.
On occasions, there may be some more materials to be bought and brought in if and when advised by the instructor.
Most of the materials are available from any art supply shop, for example:
Majdulin Nasrallah is a designer and artist holding an MFA in Interdisciplinary Design Studies and a BFA in Interior Design from Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar. Her work spans a wide range of disciplines, including architecture, Interior, furniture, and product design. She uses design and art as tools to challenge current systems and constructs, provoke critical thought and stimulate discussion within the community about political, social and cultural realities.