- Brief introduction to creative fashion design processes, the role of fashion illustration, major materials, and basic techniques: begin with fashion figure proportions (lines, values, and fabric folds)
- Draw fashion figures with sketching guidelines for various poses (observational drawing)
- Sketch garments, covering various styles and design details (perspective: 20-min sketches).
- Introduction to Gouache painting and basic rendering techniques (color theory and fabric choices)
- Brief introduction to a cohesive collection development (Project I)
- Project I to be continued: preliminary sketches
- Project I: complete a lookbook using mixed media, corresponding to the chosen theme
- Discuss layout, sketchbook activities, and the final collection critique
Please note: VCUQatar reserves the right to cancel classes for which not enough participants are registered. Already paid fees will be refunded.
Please do not purchase materials until VCUQatar has sent final course confirmation.
Items to buy for this class
Participants are required to buy their own materials beforehand and bring them to every class.
- 1 A3 sketch pad for rough sketching
- Pencils of 2B and 4B and 1 artist eraser
- 1 ruler of about 18 inches
- 1 pad of tracing paper in A3 (preferred). If not, A4 is fine
- 1 pencil sharpener
- Set of black fine liner pens 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 (waterproof)
- Set of colored pencils (at least 12 colors)
- Set of artist quality Gouache paints (recommend Winsor & Newton)
- 1 A3 watercolor paper pad or multi-purpose paper pad (both wet and dry medium)
- 1 roll of masking tape
- Ceramic or plastic pallet with wells
- Two water containers with a lid if possible
- Set of brushes (suitable for Gouache and watercolor)
Watercolor Brushes: No.12 or No.14 synthetic round, 1- or 2-inch flat (a large hake), No. 2 or No.4 flat synthetic with stiff bristles for scrubbing, as well as a rigger or one of No.2 or No.4 synthetic round
- A3 Bristol paper or A3 illustration board (optional)
- Basic color markers (optional)
- 1 A2 newsprint paper pad for marker sketching
- 1 black marker with chisel tip and brush (for example, Sharpie or Promarker)
Charcoal pencils and black ink (Optional)
On occasions, there may be some more materials to be bought and brought in if and when advised by the instructor.
Where to buy your materials
Most of the materials are available from any art supply shop, for example:
- Cass Art (Fire station): Community Classes students get a 15% discount upon presenting the registration ticket
- Jarir Bookstore: on Rayyan Road or Salwa Road
- Color Note: on Al Nasser Street
- Ibn Al Qayyim: at Markhiya Roundabout
- Al Rawnaq