- MFA, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, 2013
- BFA, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, RI, 2005
- RISD Abroad, Havana, Cuba, 2004
- RISD European Honors Summer Program, Rome, Italy, 2004
Rachel Cohn is an interdisciplinary artist working with painting, sculpture, video and performance. She received her MFA in Painting from Virginia Commonwealth University (2013) and her BFA in Painting from the Rhode Island School of Design (2005).
Rachel values experimentation, collaboration and trying to find new ways to describe the world around her. Recent projects have included an attempt to study the inner life of oysters, building a dream sauna and the reenactments of memories for further investigation.
Rachel has exhibited in the US and abroad, including shows at Brattleboro Museum and Art Center, Vermont, White Box Gallery, New York City, Ortega y Gasset Gallery, Ridgewood, NY, Reynolds Gallery, Richmond and Gallery Augusta, Finland. Her performance "Nonesuch Tales of Ardea Herodias," in collaboration with Laurids Sonne and Michael Ashley, was awarded best in show at 1708 Gallery's InLight Richmond 2013. She has been an artist-in-residence at Vermont Studio Center (US); CAC Woodside (US); HIAP Suomenlinna (FI), Marpha Foundation (NP), Halka Art Project (TR) and Mildred’s Lane (US). Her work is also held in many special collections.
- See You, editioned artist book, Marpha Foundation, Marpha, Nepal. November. “Cupcakes for Joan Jonas.” Love Letters to Artists, Ortega y Gasset Gazette, February 2014. Salsbury, Brittany. Critic’s Picks New York: “Actualize”. artforum.com. 22 Jan. 2014
- Newton, Karen. “Night Light.” Style Weekly. 5 Nov. Commissioned Portraits, National Council of Art Administrators Conference, VCU, September, Awards commissioned by Richard Roth for Bill and Pam Royall and Richard Toscan Zalecki, Megan. “Energy and Motion.” richmondartsreview.com. 17 June SP Weather Station Report 2012, November, Norwegian Værmaskin (Weather Machine), with Frej Meinlid Larsen, Ebbe Dam Meinlid and Laurids Sonne, Queens, New York. 2013
- Memory Palace, Halka Art Project, Istanbul, Turkey, 2015.
- WORK II, Visual Arts Center of Richmond, Richmond, VA. 2015.
- Exquisite Corpse, 1708 Gallery, Richmond, VA. 2014
- Recuperative Tactics, Art in General, NY, NY. 2014.
- Nonesuch Tales of Ardea Herodias, Anderson Gallery, Richmond, VA. 2014.
- SP Weather Reports (2008-2013), Center for Book Arts, NY, NY. 2014.
- Actualize, curated by Jessica Langley, Ortega y Gasset Projects, Brooklyn, NY. 2014.
- Nonesuch Tales of Ardea Herodias, InLight Richmond, curated by Ken Farmer, 1708 Gallery, Richmond, VA. 2013.
- Almost Famous, Reynolds Gallery, Richmond, VA. 2013.
- The Sho, curated by Nigel Rolfe, White Box Gallery, NY. 2013.
- MFA Thesis Show, Anderson Gallery, Richmond, VA. 2013.
- Mildred’s Lane, LAND Fellow, Beach Lake, PA. August 2015.
- Halka Art Project. Istanbul, Turkey. December-January 2015.
- Marpha Art Foundation. Marpha, Nepal. November, 2014.
- Best in Show, InLight Richmond, 1708 Gallery, Richmond, VA Thesis/Dissertation Assistantship, Virginia Commonwealth University Graduate School. 2013.