• MFA, Design Studies, Virginia Commonwealth University - Qatar. Class Marshall, 2014.
• BFA, Graphic Design, irginia Commonwealth University - Qatar. Cum Laude, Salutatorian of Class. 2010.
Maryam Al-Homaid is an interdisciplinary designer holding a Bachelor degree in Graphic Design and a Master degree in Design Studies from Virginia Commonwealth University - Qatar. She previously was a Graphic Designer at RasGas working for the Public Affairs department managing different design projects and events within the company.
Maryam comes from a family where her father is a fine artist and both grandfathers were makers and craftsmen. Maryam’s curiosity and exploration in design grew from a personal interest in Prototyping and Making. She believes that by pursuing the Maker movement; a recently revived revolution that mixes technology based-mediums and the DIY culture, it can build the bridges between the high-tech mediums that exist today and the lost crafts that ones existed in the Middle East, the Arabian Gulf in specific.
As the first appointed Junior Faculty at Virginia Commonwealth University - Qatar, Maryam is committed on transferring her curiosity and passion of making and prototyping to her students as she strongly believes in “leaning through doing” which is what the maker movement is also about.
- Hammett, Levi., Al Homaid, Maryam., & Phatanateacha, Pornprapha. “Urban Intervals” & “Emergent Landscapes” (Mixed Media). Otaku Exhibition, Katara Art Center, Doha, Qatar. Group Exhibition. Invited. November 2013.
- Hammett, Levi., Al Homaid, Maryam., & Phatanateacha, Pornprapha. “Cultural Camouflage: Doha” (Interactive). Spaces and Flows Conference, Centre for Urban Studies, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Conference Exhibition. Juried. November 2013.
- Hammett, Levi., Phatanateacha, Pornprapha., & Al Homaid, Maryam. “Cultural Camouflage: Transcribing Unconventional Cultural Patterns into Design Products”. Tenth International Conference on Environmental, Cultural, Economic, and Social Sustainability, Split, Croatia. January, 2014. Presentation.
- Al-Homaid, Maryam. “Personified: Objects With Personalities That Illustrate Applied Empathy as a Mechanism to Document Qatar’s Changing Phenomena.” The Interdisciplinary Design Symposium, Doha, Qatar, 2014. Presentation.
- “Personified: Objects With Personalities That Illustrate Applied Empathy as a Mechanism to Document Qatar’s Changing Phenomena”. VCUQ MFA show, VCUQ Gallery, Doha, Qatar. Juried. May 2014
- Hammett, Levi., Al Homaid, Maryam., & Phatanateacha, Pornprapha. “Cultural Camouflage: Cultural Data Visualization and Local Identity”. ISEA2014: The 20th International Symposium on Electronic Art, A4 Gallery, Dubai, UAE. Juried. November 2014.
- “In Memory of the Roundabouts”. HereThere: The Qatar Brazil 2014 Year of Culture, Al-Riwaq Exhibition Space, Doha, Qatar. Invited. December 2014