Digital Image Collections
The library provides research and technical assistance for students and faculty using the Digital Image Collections and resources. Use your VCU eID to access image resources and databases as needed on and off campus.
- AP Images - More than 3.5 million historical and contemporary news photographs with thousands more added daily. In addition the collection includes over 100,000 graphics containing logos, graphs, maps and timelines, as well as audio clips and news stories.
- ARTstor - A digital library of more than one million images in the arts, humanities, architecture and social sciences. Enables customized and quick development of user developed slide shows. See instructional videos on how to use ARTstor, and how to easily create powerpoints from Image groups.
- Berg Fashion Library - Images, articles and other resources on world dress and fashion.
- Bridgeman Education - A digital library of over 300,000 images in the arts and humanities with an emphasis on European, modern and contemporary works. (access on campus only)
- firstView - The world's largest fashion database including fashion show images as well as collections and designers from around the world. (access on campus only)
- Google Art Project - Use Google's Street View technology to walk through the world's top museums. See selected images from each museum at extremely high resolution.
- Material Connexion - Offers information and images of materials and processes for all design disciplines including interior design, fashion design and graphic design.
- Oxford Art Online - Provides access to Grove Art Online including images and articles as well as Oxford Companion of Western Art and the Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms.
- WGSN - (Worth Global Style Network) is a leading online trend-analysis research service providing current information on design, style, apparel and the retail industries. (access on campus only)
VCUQatar Library Images and Media (on campus access only)
LUNA is an image resource which includes the following collections:
VCUQatar Images - images from the Departments of Fashion Design, Interior Design and Graphic Design. This is a developing database of VCUQatar student work.
- Scholars Resource - 12,000+ images covering a broad survey of art history.
- Archvision - 16,500 images of European and American Architecture.
- Ask for assistance with using and accessing Luna from Vicky Bleick or library staff.
- VCUQatar Fashion Show Videos
Digital Collections Services
Library faculty may assist other university faculty and students with the following on request:
- Training on image databases held by the University
- Image research assistance and consultation
- Image presentation skills for classroom and conferences
- Color Management
- Personal Image Management (how to organize your personal collections of images for research and study)
A large collection of over 40,000 35mm slides, digital images and other audiovisual materials for research and study are also available in Room 106j. Many of these items were purchased before the advent of, and duplicated in, ArtSTOR.
Digital Collections is located in Room 106j VCUQatar Libraries and is open during library hours Sunday through Thursday.