More Image Collections
The library provides research and technical assistance for students and faculty using the Digital Image Collections and resources below.
- Use your VCU eID to access image resources and databases as needed on and off campus.
- See VCU Richmond Libraries Research Guide: Find Images for online assistance.
- AP Images - More than 3.5 million historical and contemporary news photographs with thousands more added daily. In addition the collection includes over 100,000 graphics containing logos, graphs, maps and timelines, as well as audio clips and news stories.
- ARTstor - A digital library of more than one million images in the arts, humanities, architecture and social sciences. Enables customized and quick development of user developed slide shows. See instructional videos on how to use ARTstor, and how to easily create powerpoints from Image groups.
- Berg Fashion Library - Images, articles and other resources on world dress and fashion.
- Bridgeman Education - A digital library of over 300,000 images in the arts and humanities with an emphasis on European, modern and contemporary works. (access on campus only)
- firstView - The world's largest fashion database including fashion show images as well as collections and designers from around the world.
- Getty Open Content Program - Over 10,000 images from the J. Getty Museum and the Getty Research Institute including images of photographs, rare books, prints, paintings, manuscripts and sketchbooks.
- Google Art Project - Use Google's Street View technology to walk through the world's top museums. See selected images from each museum at extremely high resolution.
- Material Connexion - Offers information and images of materials and processes for all design disciplines including interior design, fashion design and graphic design.
- Oxford Art Online - Provides access to Grove Art Online including images and articles as well as Oxford Companion of Western Art and the Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms.
- The Vogue Archive - A complete searcheable archive of American Vogue, from 1892 to the current month.
- WGSN - (Worth Global Style Network) is a leading online trend-analysis research service providing current information on design, style, apparel and the retail industries.
More Image Resources for Islamic Art History
- Archnet - Digital Library on Islamic culture curated by MIT Libraries.
- Shahnama Proect - Images from historic manuscripts at Princeton, and Cambridge
- Chester Beatty Library Islamic Seals - Database of images of Islamic seals
For VCUQatar Library Images and Media (on campus or VCU VPN access only) use LUNA an image resource which includes the following collections:
- VCUQatar Images - digital images from the VCUQatar University Archives
- Scholars Resource - 12,000+ images covering a broad survey of art history.
- Archvision - 16,500 images of European and American Architecture.
SLIDES AND IMAGE CDs
The library owns several large photographic slide and CD image collections (mostly art history and architecture) and these are available for use on request. Most of these images are also available online in ARTstor and other image databases.
Ask for assistance with finding, using and accessing Images from library staff.