MaML’s time-based lab contains a variety of industry standard studio production equipment, a ProCyc 4FS Cyclorama green screen, 7 post-production editing stations and multiple fleets of portable equipment. This facility provides students, faculty and staff with the necessary tools for an integrated workflows, serving as a resource to investigate strategies and techniques relevant to time-based and interactive media.
General Policies and Procedures (PDF)
MaML-Studio provides media equipment and facility access for academic and artistic purposes to students, faculty and staff who have been trained and authorized. Access to the equipment and facilities is provided in order to support the teaching and learning initiatives within the various academic programs. Access to equipment and facilities carries the responsibility for their proper use and care. VCUQatar recognizes that most students are responsible and thoughtful users. The actions of a few irresponsible users, however, can disrupt and interfere with the right of all users.
Availability – Fall 2013
Equipment may ONLY be checked out and returned to Aamina Malik from room 226# during the time listed below.
▪ Sunday: 12:00 to 2:00
▪ Monday: 3:30 – 5:00
▪ Thursday: 2:00 to 5:00
▪ Allow at least five minutes to check out equipment. When returning equipment, wait until
your checkout is cleared from the computer or a suspension may result.
▪ All portable camera equipment must be set up by the user before being released. This is to
ensure you leave with working equipment. Allow extra time for this process.
▪ ALL equipment is due back by the specified time. NO EXCEPTIONS
▪ Equipment checked out may be renewed or extended – pending availability and
▪ Portable gear is available to authorized students, faculty and staff
▪ Portable gear is available on a first come, first serve basis
▪ Portable gear may not be reserved.
▪ Renewal must be made in person. Telephone call-ins and emails are not be accepted.
Suspension and Fine Policy
PLEASE NOTE: Suspensions and fines are enforced and can interfere with course projects.
▪ Suspensions are not waived.
▪ Suspensions are enforced for lateness and equipment abuse.
▪ Suspensions last for the duration of a month.
ALL equipment is due back by the specified time- NO EXCEPTIONS
3 late returns = Suspension of Equipment Use for ONE MONTH
Missing cables and/or damaged gear WILL result in a fine for the cost of a replacement
(in accordance with University Policy)
MaML Studio facilities are located in 226, 226, 106l, and 370.
▪ 2.66 ,7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo, 16GB
▪ Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 video card
▪ Fibre Channel Card
▪ Sony HVR-M35E HDV/DV Deck (1)
▪ 24’ Apple Cinema Displays
▪ 24’ Sony LMD2451-W LCD Monitor
▪ Mackie, HR 624 Audio Monitors
▪ Final Cut Server – XSAN & VTRAK RAID
▪ Portable Kits
▪ Various Arduino Boards, LCD Modules
▪ Breakout Boards, Component Parts,
▪ and Sensors
Video and Still
▪ 15 HD and SD Canon Video Cameras
▪ (6) Canon XF305
▪ (1) Canon HDV XL H1S
▪ (8) Canon Legria HF200
▪ 13 Nikon Still Cameras
▪ (8) Nikon P100
▪ (3) Nikon D3x
▪ (2) Nikon D700
▪ (28) Various Microphones and Audio
▪ (4) Marantz PMD660, DAT recorders
▪ (6) Sony ECM77-B, Lavalier Mics
▪ (4) Sennheiser ME66/K6, Boom Mic’s
▪ (8) Rode, Compact Shotgun Mic
▪ (4) Sennheiser MD42- Dyn. Omnidirectional
▪ (2) Coles Lip Mic
▪ (7) Portable Light Kits
▪ (4) LitePanel, On-Camera, Micro Hybrids
▪ (1) LitePanel, 1×1 Flood Daylight
▪ (2) Ican Light Stands
▪ ProCyc 4FS Cyclorama
▪ Lighting Pipe Grid with 23 LED LitePanels
▪ 1 – 15×1 Flood Daylight
▪ 4 – 1×1 bi-focus – daylight spot/superspot
▪ 3 – 1×1 B-Focus – daylight spot/flood
▪ Manfrotto Shooting Table (79 x 49»)