- Introduce to watercolor painting and materials – view a wide variety of historical and contemporary watercolor painting examples. Tips for stretching watercolor paper and using the brushes to make a variety lines and shapes will be introduced. Also introduce to flat washes and value scales.
- Introduce to negative painting techniques using flat, graded and variegated washes.
- View a variety of watercolor still life examples. Paint from still life using washes and negative painting techniques. Tips for making preliminary sketches and for creating interesting negative shapes will be introduced.
- Painting from still life continued (Discuss art elements). Exploration of color schemes and color mixing with tips for creating beautiful shadows
- View a variety of watercolor landscape painting examples and introduce to creating dynamic compositions with a focus on landscape painting, using photographs for reference
- Tips for putting the finishing touches on paintings and cutting a hinged matt to display watercolor paintings
Please note: VCUQatar reserves the right to cancel classes for which not enough participants are registered. Already paid fees will be refunded.
Please do not purchase materials until VCUQatar has sent final course confirmation.
Items to buy for this class
- Artist Quality Watercolor paints, i.e. Winsor & Newton's Cotman Water Colour - 12 x 8ml tube set
- A3 Watercolor Paper: cold-pressed 140lb approx. 20 pages would be good to go (Better with texture)
- Watercolor Brushes: No. 12 or No.14 synthetic round, 1/ 2, 1/4, or 1-inch flat synthetic with stiff bristles, a rigger or one of No.2 or No.4 synthetic round brushes
- Watercolor Palette for color mixing (Ceramic or Plastic with wells, with a lid if possible)
- Drawing pencil (2B & 4B) or watercolor pencils
- Soft eraser
- 2 small plastic water containers (with a lid if possible)
- A sponge
- A scraper (paint stores)
- A hair dryer
- A knife for cutting paper
- A gummed tape (Family Food Center, Al Rayyan)
On occasions, there may be some more materials to be bought and brought in if and when advised by the instructor.
Where to buy your materials
Most of the materials are available from any art supply shop, for example:
- Jarir Bookstore: on Rayyan Road or Salwa Road
- Color Note: on Al Nasser Street
- Ibn Al Qayyim: at Markhiya Roundabout
- VCUQatar Shop: open during normal VCUQatar hours: Sunday to Thursday, 8.30am – 4pm
- Al Rawnaq