This course will enable participants to create fashion illustrations using a variety of media and techniques, in order to communicate design ideas. Participants will also be introduced to diverse fashion drawing styles and fashion illustrators. Through a combination of lecture, demonstration, and studio time, this course will provide an opportunity of composing fashion artworks, in a way that reflects cohesive design ideas.
1. Brief introduction to creative fashion design processes, the role of fashion illustration, major materials, and basic techniques: begin with fashion figure proportions (lines and values)
2. Draw fashion figures with sketching guidelines for various poses (perspective)
3. Sketch garments, covering various styles and construction details (observational drawing).
4. Introduction to gouache (or watercolor) painting and basic rendering techniques (color theory and fabric choices)
5. Brief introduction to a cohesive collection development (Project I)
6. Project I to be continued: preliminary sketches
7. Project I: complete a lookbook using mixed media, corresponding to the chosen theme
8. Discuss layout, sketchbook activities, and the final collection
Please note: VCUQatar reserves the right to cancel classes for which not enough participants are registered. Already paid fees will be refunded.
Please do not purchase materials until VCUQatar has sent final course confirmation.
Participants are required to buy their own materials beforehand and bring them to every class.
Watercolor Brushes: No.12 or No.14 synthetic round, 1- or 2-inch flat (a large hake), No. 2 or No.4 flat synthetic with stiff bristles for scrubbing, as well as a rigger or one of No.2 or No.4 synthetic round
Charcoal and black ink (Optional)
On occasions, there may be some more materials to be bought and brought in if and when advised by the instructor.
Most of the materials are available from any art supply shop, for example: