This course will explore basic pottery processes and techniques: preparing clay (wedging), wheel throwing, trimming and surface manipulation, glazing, firing and recycling used clay. At the conclusion of this community course, students will have fundamental knowledge of pottery making, alongside their own 3-5 finished pieces to take home.
Please note that this schedule is flexible and are prone to change according to needs arising
1. Brief introduction to pottery (History, types of clay, techniques and processes). Introduction to equipment and supplies, as well as studio safety and cleanliness. Demo on the wheel followed by an exercise to understand pottery.
2. Student practice wedging, wheel throwing and trimming with the guidance of instructors
3. Student practice wedging, wheel throwing and trimming with the guidance of instructors
4. Student practice wedging, wheel throwing and trimming with the guidance of instructors
5. Student practice wedging, wheel throwing and trimming with the guidance of instructors
6. Bisque Firing (exploring the technique of pinching pots in the meantime)
7. Glaze application then the final kiln firing
8. Photograph work professionally (In VCU photo studio)
Please note: VCUQatar reserves the right to cancel classes for which not enough participants are registered. Already paid fees will be refunded.
Please do not purchase materials until VCUQatar has sent final course confirmation.
On occasions, there may be some more materials to be bought and brought in if and when advised by the instructor.
Most of the materials are available from any art supply shop, for example:
Instructors Majdulin Nasrallah and Se Hee Jang have studied pottery in Vannecourt, France. Taking what they have learned from a master potter, Majdulin and Se Hee have continuously explored and practiced the techniques of wheel throwing with a goal to share their knowledge and skills with the community.
Majdulin Nasrallah is a designer and artist, currently doing her masters degree in Interdisciplinary Design Studies. She graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts with Honors in Interior Design from Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar (VCUarts Qatar). Besides her design practices, she has many years of experience in Fine Arts. She currently works as an MFA product designer ( involves 3D printing ceramics) and a Fabrication Lab Monitor, and has previously worked as a research Assistant at VCUarts Qatar,. Majdulin has received several design awards, including the Arab Engineering Bureau award for creative potential and achievement in 2016, and the Arab Engineering Bureau Design Excellence Award in 2017. She participated in several group exhibitions, including Qatar House in both Richmond and Germany, and Modern Prayer Rug in both Richmond and Qatar.
Se Hee Jang is a Visual Artist who holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Painting and Printmaking with a minor in Art History. While she is studying her Masters of Fine Arts in Interdisciplinary Design at Virginia Commonwealth University- Qatar, she is currently working as an MFA product designer (involves 3d printing ceramic). She has been assisting various courses throughout VCUQatar with diverse experience outside the field. She had many exhibitions including QatarHouse in Richmond and Germany, Prayer Rug in Richmond and Qatar, Parallels exhibition in VCUQatar, Marvellous Creatures at the MIA, etc. Although she specializes in Painting, she also identifies herself as a sculptor and a maker.