This is an introduction to drawing primarily using pencils, expanding to ink, color pencils, or oil pastels. Participants will learn tips for measuring relationships in scale and space. The topics covered will include basic color tips, effective compositions, and setting a still life.
Please note that this schedule is flexible and may change according to needs arising.
Please note: VCUQatar reserves the right to cancel classes for which not enough participants are registered. Already paid fees will be refunded.
Please do not purchase materials until VCUQatar has sent final course confirmation.
In order to fully participate in the practical exercises, please bring the following materials/equipment to the first class:
- Still life objects (Bring three objects: preferably fruit, for example, a banana, an orange, and a pear or an apple)
- A3 drawing paper pad
- A3 watercolor paper pad: cold-pressed 140lb, approx. 20 pages slightly textured
- Watercolor brushes: No.12 or No.14 synthetic round, 1- or 2-inch flat (a large hake), No. 2 or No.4 flat synthetic with stiff bristles for scrubbing, a rigger or one of No.2 or No.4 round synthetic
- A watercolor palette for color mixing (ceramic or plastic with wells, with a lid if possible)
- Drawing pencils (2B, 4B, & 6B), a soft eraser, 2 plastic water containers (with a lid if possible)
- Artist-quality color ink including black
- Set of color pencils and a set of color pastels
On occasions, there may be some more materials to be bought and brought in if and when advised by the instructor.
Most of the materials are available from any art supply shop, for example: